Monday, November 23, 2009

The Reason My Heart Hasn't Stopped.

I struggle with anxiety. It always seems to strike at the most random times. For example, most people may get anxious over schoolwork, grades, or finances. Not I.
I am a special case. I never know when it will strike, but when It does, I break down. I pretend I'm seven and I don't have any responsibilities. It's sad. But I have found hope that was there all along.



My devotional talks about anxiety in two separate cases in the bible:

First, with David facing Goliath fearlessly, though Saul told him he should be scared. David put all his faith in God as he was so used to... We all know how the story ends.
Another case that I never thought about before was Jesus walking on the water..

"Peter, suddenly bold, said, "Master, if it's really you, call me to come to you on the water." He said, "Come ahead." Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus. But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, "Master, save me!"
Jesus didn't hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?" - Matthew 14:28-31 (The Message)

SO powerful to me.
1. Peter is always the disciple to speak up. He knows his stuff. I believe he thinks he's being clever when he asks Jesus to call to him to come. The disciples in the boat thought he was a ghost. "ask and you shall receive."
2. Jesus says "come"! Literally and metaphorically saving our lives. I forget, Jesus is always beckoning we come. (Peter wasn't simply getting lucky, as I previously thought)
3. The moment Peter takes his eyes off Jesus, he begins to sink into the waves. Not enough trust? I'm thinking this is my biggest problem. Keep your eyes on Jesus!
4. When Peter cries out for help, Jesus doesn't hesitate. Literally and metaphorically. How did we get so lucky?



"Make the conscious choice to move the attention of your anxious heart away from the waves and direct it to the One who walks on them." - Henri Nouwen


Best quiet time ever.

4 comments:

  1. i commend your taking the time every day to spend time with your Maker. i simply claim "i'm too busy!" and go on about my life. it needs to change..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anxiety kills me too. But it's mostly just about school and stuff like that. I agree, you're a weird one. :P

    We should have a mental break / meditation thing, and we should have it every day. When do you read your devotional?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your posting about these notes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your anxiety probs, big time. I totally "get" this post.

    ReplyDelete

How lovely of you.